Wednesday, October 14, 2009

why do people knowingly make bad choices?

why do people knowingly make bad choices?

that's one thing i just don't get.

It happens all the time. Some people for whatever reason decide to do something so obviously wrong. I don't get it. It's one thing to stumble onto a path with a dead end and upon realizing it's a poor choice, turning around. But when you've been warned by friends and family that what you are doing is downright destructive, and you still choose to go down a dead end path. I just don't get that. Why would you make choices like that?

Do you really want a life like that? You could be so much more than what you are choosing to be. The future is bright... It really is... The universe is infinite with stars beyond stars and you've got your eyes fixed on the dirt...

I can walk with you for a while but our paths are in different directions. eventually you will become a speck in the distance slowly fading away. when you are ready to meet up again I will leave you bread crumbs to find me. and I'll be waiting with open arms. but for now, I can't go any further.

i've said my peace. i've poured it all out. it's obvious. this isn't love. this is infatuation. this is addiction. and it's changed the core of who you are.

i don't like the deceit. i don't like the lies. i don't like the manipulation. i don't like the smugness. where did your innocence go?

your road is ending.

i just don't get it...

turn around!

i just don't get it...

but here i am waiting... i'm here... i love you... come back?

....................................................................................................................... (arms still open)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Did your friend ever come around?

Been there, done that.

thebaysingerboy said...

glad you found the post. it is almost 4 years old.

to answer your question... in some ways yes. in most ways no. When they "came around" they were not who they were before. Life changes people. The choices we make drastically change who we are.

Honestly the same goes for me. When they came around I was a different person as well. Since I've posted this entry (and much of this archived blog) I have grown a bit and my opinions have changed about some things.

The truth is, if you really love someone you won't stop chasing after them. When you cut people off or hold grudges it affects you just as much as it does the person we are upset with. The question is. Who do you want to be? What type of person do you want to be? Do you want to be a loving/forgiving person? True love is relentless. It never gives up. It speaks up. But it's also excruciatingly patient.

in the end, the issue at hand never went away. we just learned how to love each other through that. warts and all.

Anonymous said...

I commend your tenacity, ability to forgive and compromise.

On the one hand, I believe that addiction is inherently the single most selfish choice a person can make. However, I also believe that there is a reason or reasons for the addiction that left untreated mires the user in an endlessly downward spiral.

Those who love the addicted are relegated to bearing witness to the destruction and ALWAYS being second to last priority.

As such, unconditional love is not enough for either party. There MUST also be an effort to cure the addiction from/of the user and the codependency of the friend/lover.

thebaysingerboy said...

I know it wasn't posted in this original blog but this entry is also a play on the parable "The Prodigal Son". Luke 15:11-32

I agree that must be an effort towards healing/restoration. Those efforts were made. There were multiple knock-down drag out confrontations involved in this issue. Everything was laid out on the table. But in the end sometimes you have to give up your right to always be right.You have to let them go and just love them... and wait patiently with open arms.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are right with this. Your friend is blessed to have you there. That's for sure.


Anonymous said...

I wish I'd been loved that way.

thebaysingerboy said...

I am sorry that you weren't.